The MVBA Children’s Park Committee is looking for more volunteer members. The committee, which is also registered as a “Friends of” volunteer group with Baltimore City’s Recreation and Parks department, handles the stewardship of the Mount Vernon Children’s Park. Some of the activities of the committee involve:
- Locking and unlocking the park
- Keeping the park clean
- Keeping the park green (gardening, weeding, watering plants)
- Keeping the fountain in working order (turning on in May and off in September)
- Organizing goal oriented fundraisers (i.e. Shade Umbrella, Little Free Library)
- Monitoring Facebook, e-mail, and other social media accounts
- Working with Midtown Benefits District Staff
This is not an exhaustive list, nor is it the sole responsibility of one volunteer. We have a great partnership with Midtown and their staff help unlock the park and clean the park on a seasonal schedule. We also have a very knowledgeable volunteer that helps specifically with the splash fountain.
Traditionally, 2 or 3 families have made up the committee. As time goes by, people move away or little children become big children putting different time commitments and priorities on their parents. Every so often, responsibility of the park transfers from one group to another. We are nearing one of those transitions now and would like to add new members to the committee that are interested in helping with any of the activities listed above. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to have you!